My Options: Adoption
Adoption is an option if neither parent feels he or she will be able to meet the child’s needs emotionally, physically, financially, or socially. By choosing adoption you can ensure that the child’s future needs will be met. You can call and speak with one of our adoption counselors to customize your adoption plan.
If you desire, you can meet your adoptive family, receive pictures and letters after placement as well as have at least one visit a year with the family and child. It is important that you stay open and honest about your emotions and your situation. We can offer you counseling services both before and after the baby is born. We understand that this is a difficult decision and we want to help you work through your emotions as well.
What To Expect: Step By Step Process
The adoption process is unique to your needs but here is an example of the basic step by step process of an adoption plan:
1) Gather Information About Adoption
- Contact AFTH to speak with a pregnancy counselor, ask any questions and discuss your options and find out whether adoption may be the right option for you and your baby.
2) Meet With Your Counselor To Make Your Adoption Plan
- Assistance in obtaining a doctor, medical assistance, welfare, transportation to appointments, housing, etc.
- Financial assistance may be available depending on your circumstances.
- Fill out paperwork which will help your counselor get to know you better.
3) Select A Family (if you choose)
- Begin reviewing adoptive parent profiles and Youtube video’s for the type of adoptive parents you would like to choose for your baby.
- Get to know the family you choose by meeting them with your counselor a few times before your baby is born.
4) At The Hospital
- Discuss plans for the hospital: time with the baby, adoptive parents’ role at the hospital, who you want in the delivery room etc.
- Labor and delivery of your baby. Your counselor will meet you at the hospital for support.
- Discharge from hospital, baby will be discharged with family you chose.
5) Legal Process
- Meet with your counselor to fill out the legal paperwork to complete your adoption plan.
6) Ongoing Support
- If you choose an open adoption, receive photos and letter or email updates and possible visits.
- Adoption is a life-long journey, your adoption counselor is here for you. Support groups are also available.
Do you still have questions? Read our FAQ on Adoption.
AFTH Can Help
There is no easy choice. There is no wrong choice. An unplanned pregnancy can be one of life’s most difficult experiences.
AFTH gives you the option to select adoptive parents from our approved families through letters, photos and videos. You can meet them and stay in touch with your child as he/she is growing up. You can join a support group with other women who are considering adoption and/or have already placed their children with adoptive families. Choose either a totally open, semi-open adoption or a traditional (closed) adoption.
The adoption options offered by Adoptions From The Heart can be molded to fit your desires and needs exactly. Receive letters and pictures each year or visit your child after the adoption is finalized. Your child will be placed directly with adoptive parents, not in foster care. Our experienced, caring and skilled counselors provide individual and family counseling to help birth parents sort out their feelings and make informed choices.