FAQ For Fathers

1. I’m not sure if she is really pregnant. How can we find out?

An at home pregnancy test is probably the simplest way to determine a pregnancy, and they are highly accurate. A more reliable option is for the mother to visit her family doctor for a pregnancy blood test which is 100% accurate.

2. I think she might be pregnant but she won’t talk to me. I want to be involved. How can I do this?

If she is pregnant she might be experiencing a LOT of emotions right now. She may be feeling scared, angry, upset or anxious. Reaching out to her and letting her know how you feel may help her feel less alone. If you agree that adoption might be an option you want to learn more.

3. She is pregnant but I don’t believe I am the father. How do I find out?

You can have a paternity test done. The cost is of an official DNA test is anywhere from $400-$2,000 for a legal paternity test, and about $300 for an at home test. We can help you locate resources for more information. Testing can be done both before and after a child is born.

4. If I choose adoption, will my child know anything about me? Will he or she know that I love them?

Yes, you and your child’s mother can choose the level of openness in your adoption. You can stay in touch with your baby through photo and letter or email updates and even visits. Adopted children often benefit from a relationship with their birth parents through open adoption.

5. What are some commonly used paternity terms?

Birth Father or Biological Father: the man with whom the woman physically conceives a child.

Legal Father: the man legally married to the birth mother at the time of conception or birth (depending on your state’s laws he may be required to consent to the adoption even if he is not the biological father).

Putative or Presumed Father: a man who may or may not be the child’s father. He was not married to the mother before the child was born and has not established that he is the father, legally, in a court.

Putative Father Registry: A public registry, usually administered by a state’s Department of Vital Records or Children’s Services, where an unmarried man who believes that he is the father of a child may register and claim to be the child’s father. In order to register, you must also agree to become financially responsible for the care of the child. A putative father that has properly registered in the registry has the right to be notified of adoption-related hearings. For more info check out your state’s website.