AFTH wants to help birth parents get on their feet and establish a career so we have started an Educational Scholarship program. Educational scholarships are available for parents who have placed their child for adoption.
Please Note: Every birth mother or father should understand that choosing adoption for your baby does not guarantee a scholarship will be available. The number of scholarships, and the amount of each scholarship awarded each semester, vary depending on the number of applicants and tuition amounts.
Educational scholarships can be used for trade schools or for undergraduate studies at a university. Recipients of our Educational Scholarships are eligible for up to eight semesters. Payments are made directly to the schools.
Twice a year, the AFTH board meets to review scholarship applications received from birth parents for the fall and spring semesters and chooses the winning scholarship applications. Unfortunately, we are not able to help every applicant with a scholarship.
The deadline for the spring semester applications is December 1st.
The deadline for the fall semester applications is July 1st.
Qualified and complete applications received by our submission deadline will be presented to our board. The board will review the applications as well as discuss them and make a final decision. All sections of the application will be taken into consideration. Priority will be given to applications who meet the following objective criteria:
- Must have placed a child for adoption in or after 1985 (letter from your adoption agency or attorney must be provided)
- Must have been accepted to a college or trade school. (verification required)
- Must show a financial need (w-2 or previous year tax return)
- Must write an essay regarding their adoption story.
In order to qualify for an additional scholarship recipients must:
- maintain a 2.5 or higher grade point average (GPA)
- Complete a scholarship application form and submit it prior to each semester’s deadline
- Provide a copy of your transcript from the previous semester