With a wide range of cultural activities and experiences, Suffolk, VA is a great place to grow up. Our Virginia adoption agents make sure to introduce our kids to as many new experiences as we can. The Suffolk Art Gallery is a great place to visit when you’re looking for an enriching cultural experience the whole family can enjoy. Some highlights from our recent trip to this diverse art museum include:
Verbal2Visual: Artwork inspired by the works of Kwame Alexander
Born in Hampton Roads, Virginia-based Kwame Alexander is a poet, speaker, educator, and a New York Times bestselling author with 24 books on his resume. He wrote The Crossover, which won the 2015 John Newbery Metal for the Most Distinguished Contribution to American Literature for Children. This exhibit celebrates Alexander’s career with readings from his diverse body of work, with special attention paid to his latest book, Solo. Participants in this exhibition are also invited to create artwork inspired by Alexander’s writing. This event runs from May 4 through June 8, 2018.
Suffolk Art League’s Annual Open Members’ Show
The Suffolk Art League’s Annual Open Members’ Show runs from June 19 through July 20, 2018. Art League members may exhibit up to two works and non-members may join at the time of delivery. Rules include:
- Original works in any media are eligible.
- Works must have been completed within the past two years.
- Works are only eligible if they have not already been shown at Suffolk Art Gallery.
If you’re interested in submitting some artwork, bring it to the Suffolk Art Gallery on either Saturday, June 9 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. or Tuesday, June 12 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Classes and Workshops
The Suffolk Art League offers a variety of classes and workshops, both for kids and adults. These classes and workshops are divided into three age groups:
Kid’s classes are open to children ages 14 and under. There are currently three kid’s classes on the Suffolk Art Gallery calendar:
- Home School Art Program – Open to kids from ages 6-14, this program allows home-schooled children to get an art education. Each month, students work with a different medium to create their own art projects.
- Words/Ideas/ART! – This class uses a different children’s book each month to teach about and inspire artwork. The idea is that the books will inspire ideas which will lead to artwork. Students will have a variety of materials to choose from and be instructed on specific techniques.
- Summer Art Camp: Color Wars – Each year, the gallery runs a 4-day summer camp for kids ages 8-12.
These classes allow both teenagers and adults to participate. Upcoming classes include:
- Botanical Watercolors – May 19
- Lunar Moth Chain Mail Bracelet – May 19
- Beginning/Intermediate Pastels – Tuesdays May 29 – June 12
- Intermediate/Advanced Pastels – Tuesdays May 29 – June 12
Adult Classes (18 and Up)
There are currently no upcoming adults-only classes on the schedule.